Skip to content

What happened on the Google Challenge @ the Swahili Wikipedia

2010 July 16
Posted by Muddyb

It was good idea to establish the challenge which would increase the number of the contributors, words, and articles on the Swahili Wikipedia. However, it turns out different when the challenge has completed. It seems that the participant were there for PRIZES and not for making the Swahili Wikipedia reach its peak – or to be among of the biggest and useful online encyclopedia in East Africa.

This left a number of articles which could not be reviewed yet as there was a large (by our standards) number of absolutely new contributors who were attracted by google-prizes 8a few laptops). Nearly all of them are gone now and left a lot of articles which often are not really state of the art formally and also linguistically.

So far, there is a large number of the articles are waiting to be corrected. It’s not bad we’ve got a huge number of the articles, but most of them are quite unnecessary and deserve to be deleted. Oliver tried his best to correct them, but he couldn’t make it – due to number of the articles are. What he did, he tried to recruit again  the participants to come-back and do corrections – but no one shows up his/her nose. Since we don’t provide anything to them, they decided to disappear for good.

See what happened right after the challenge:

1. Too many unwanted redlinks

2. Too many articles were overwritten – and the worst of all, the existing article were pretty much better than the new ones.

3. Too many grammatical errors – despite the participants were from the universities and colleges. It’s a pity!

4. So many unwanted templates were added on the articles. Some of them tried to create the templates, but they were very poor due to lack of experience and also and not advisable.

5. They are not replying the message from the talk pages. Also, they don’t care because they were there for laptops and other prizes (no need to be rude, but it hurts me pretty bad).

6. The Google Translate Toolkit - it’s bluffing lot. It is not retty good at grammar – so caused lot of wrong grammatical articles because they told them that the translate toolkit it’s okay to use it and its translation is reliable while it’s not. I, personal give it a 50% of the translation is okay, but most of them it’s bluffing.

All these things happened on my home wikipedia and I don’t like to see it’s happening again. I’m aware of the new project, but we need more inspections and guys who will do are proper translations. Also, we are still correcting the existing articles…

All these things happened on my home wikipedia and I don’t like to see it’s happening again. I’m aware of the new project, but we need more inspections and guys who will do are proper translations. Also, we are still correcting the existing articles…
104 Responses
  1. December 23, 2010

    Thanks for this amazing site. I clearly cherished going through it and ought to talk about it with my friends.

  2. December 24, 2010

    Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching Google for this issue, I have to say your site is really helpful I also love the theme, its amazing!. I dont have that much time to read all your post at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.

  3. February 10, 2011

    This website is awesome. I continuously encounter some thing new & different right here. Thank you for that data.

  4. February 11, 2011

    I’m happy to have found your exceptionally high quality article! I agree with some of your readers and will eagerly look forward to your coming updates.

Comments are closed.